Job TitleJunior Building Operator
Job Description SummaryUnder the supervision of the HVAC Supervisor, this position will perform a variety of skilled HVAC maintenance and operational assignments. In the early part of employment, you will receive routine tasks and responsibilities under supervision. As you demonstrate greater site knowledge, assignments and responsibilities of increasing difficulty will be assigned within your technical skill set.
The position will assist with the daily operation and routine maintenance of the HVAC systems. The HVAC worker assist the Supervisor in coordinating and supervise specialized service providers in the performance of repairs, maintenance and adjustments to the building’s Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC),This position requires mechanical hands on experience, theoretical knowledge and experience in electrical power and motor control circuits and plumbing to ensure a safe, efficient and comfortable environment for building occupants.
- Follow safe work practices, and implement knowledge of WHMIS and OH&S policies in work activities,
- Assist with the operation and daily inspection of all HVAC, mechanical, electrical, life safety equipment as directed by HVAC Supervisor. Performs minor repairs and adjustments as needed,
- Assist with the daily tests and record keeping for chemical treatment of all fluid systems,
- Assist with the monitoring of the central HVAC and building related systems. Perform routine preventive maintenance and repairs and including filter replacements, belt adjustments, minor repairs, boiler inspections, cooling tower cleaning, etc.,
- As directed assist with the monitoring of the Building Automation System for operating trends and revision to set points and operating schedules,
- Test run and log emergency generator and fire pumps as per schedule,
- Assist with coordinating access for Third Party service providers, and shut down of building systems to accommodate installation of tenant improvements and modifications to building systems, mechanical rounds and inspect equipment to ensure that it is operating within correct parameters,
- Troubleshoot mechanical equipment and perform/coordinate unscheduled repairs,
- Answer tenant calls regarding heating, cooling problems & building emergencies (i.e. water leaks); co-ordinate same with the tenant to ensure proper repair is being completed with a customer service focus, on a timely fashion,
- As directed assist with seasonal shutdown/startup of heating/cooling systems, chillers and cooling towers.
- As directed assist with the winterizing of all common area air-handling units including draining and anti-freeze treatment as required.
- Maintain an accurate log of daily activities while on shift,
- Assist with the monthly recording of utility check meter readings, with an understanding of consumption data, and reporting anomalies in consumption trends,
- Assist with the monitoring and control of all life safety equipment including the fire alarm and sprinkler systems, fire hydrants, standpipe connections, fire doors, etc.,
- Assist with organization of operations storage and shop areas,
- Assist in identifying and developing more efficient building operating procedures, safe work policies, and standards.
- Assist with the maintenance and control of wet and dry sprinkler systems.
- Co-ordinate with the Security Department, monitoring company and contractors in draining and refilling sprinkler systems as required
- Be available for emergency call out response and assistance,
- Assist with creation budgets, variance reporting, forecasting, future year budgeting, issuance of purchase orders and project management of upgrade projects,
- Other duties as assigned by HVAC Supervisor.
Skills & Experience Required:
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Hold a valid Fireman’s Certificate, or equivalent and a minimum of 2 years of directly related building maintenance experience,
- Mechanically inclined with the ability to operate, perform Preventative Maintenance on HVAC, electrical, fire alarm panels, Sprinkler systems, Emergency power generators, plumbing, etc. and understand specifications and related system drawings,
- Familiar with automated preventative maintenance programs an asset has basic keyboarding skills.
- Familiar with Provincial Health & Safety Legislation (i.e. WHMIS, Occupational H&S Act).
- Physically fit enabling reasonable lifting, pushing, pulling, climbing, walking,
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks and with other team members for tasks requiring more than 1 person,
- Ability to prioritize and organize workload,
- Good interpersonal and communication skills dealing with tenants, team members, service contractors and suppliers,
- Ability to work a 40-hour week that may include evening and weekend shifts;
- Must be able to present a clean criminal clearance check,
- Fluent in English
Cushman & Wakefield is committed to equity in employment and our goal is to have a diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free workplace. If you are a person with a disability and need the job posting in an alternative format or any other accessible accommodations during the hiring process, please email your request to HR@ca.cushwake.com or call 416-359-2596. Please refer to the job title and job location when you contact us.
- Occasionally lift and move heavy objects 50 pounds or more.
- Work in small cramped areas such as ceiling spaces.
- Work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to outdoor elements.
- Work at heights greater than 10 feet, on ladders and lifts,
- Climb ladders and stairs daily to reach work areas.
- Perform building inspections and identify deficiencies, repair within skill set,
- Environmental demands require exposure to fumes, odors, dust, gases, and solvents,
- Ability to work in confined and low headroom space,
- Ability to work independently or within a team