Job DescriptionGeneral Responsibilities:
All work shall adhere to safety standards as described below. Perform subsurface exploration duties using conventional drilling or in-situ testing techniques. Drilling may include auger drilling, mud rotary drilling, air rotary and diamond bit coring techniques. In-situ testing techniques may include cone penetration testing (CPT) and seismic cone penetration testing (SCPT) equipment, pressure meter and other, related apparatus. Work also includes installation of instrumentation, piezometers and monitor wells. Work as part of a multiple person team on projects. Field locate required exploration points and determine elevations of points. Develop site reconnaissance information. Load soil samples, exploration tools and instrumentation/well installation tools and supplies onto trucks or drill rigs. Prepare and review boring logs using Unified Soil Classification System (USCS) and basic standard rock classifications and site description forms. Prepares United States (US) Department of Transportation (DOT) paperwork, as required. Provide input as to how to best perform exploration tasks. Report required maintenance to supervisor and perform maintenance tasks as required.Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
- This is an entry level position designed to train the individual in the various aspects of becoming a driller/exploration team member including equipment maintenance (i.e. augers, bits, etc.), equipment operation, basic survey and leveling equipment, and a general knowledge of reading civil plans.
- Trained in duties pertaining to test borings, CPT and SCPT exploration and/or installation of groundwater monitoring wells.
- Acts as an assistant to the lead operator to help perform routine exploration tasks.
- Drives medium duty trucks to various job sites.
Preferred Certification and Skills:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Limited or no experience required
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Ability to obtain Medical Card within first 30 days of employment
- Ability to obtain a commercial driver’s license within first 90 days of employment.
- OSHA 40-Hour Course
- CPR/First Aid Trained
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid holidays.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.